Thursday, September 01, 2011

11th month's expenses

My total expense for the 11th month (1st to 31th August) is around CAD2,138, broken down as follow.

Amount (CAD) : Category

Once-off expenses

*      67 : Portable hard-disk1
* 1,062 : Laptop with 2 year warranty, MS-Office, printer2

Yearly expenses

* NIL

Monthly expenses

* 500 : Room rental
*  40 : Mobile phone bill
*  61 : Medical Services Plan
* 110 : Transport - Monthly 2-Zone Farecard
* NIL : Transport - Others
* 171 : Food/groceries3
*    5 : Clothings
*  39 : Household Items (including toiletries)4
*  22 : Recreation/Entertainment/Restaurant
*  26 : Meals/Drinks
* NIL : Personal Grooming & Make-up
*    6 : Stationery/Postage
*  29 : Others (Lottery, Souvenirs, etc)

Note 1: I have been taking so many photos of my life in Canada that my 6 years old laptop ran down to only 10GB of hard-disk space left. I decided to buy a portable hard-disk for data storage instead.

Note 2: As mentioned above, my current laptop is 6 years old. It cannot function properly for some websites, nor open some new MS-Office documents -- those with .docx extension. For simple needs, I would have continued with my current laptop. However, I wanted to sign-up for a Canadian online trading account and the versions of web-browsers supported cannot run on my current laptop. In addition, I will be starting school soon and I know from previous communications that the school administration uses .docx documents. I decided to buy a new laptop and scanner/printer with my friend's help to get a good deal from the "Back To School" promotions. [Addendum on 09-Oct-2011: In case readers wonder why my new laptop is so expensive, it is because it is an Apple, just like my old laptop.]

Note 3: The amount spent on food/groceries is less than usual because I eat more from my huge stockpile of food bought during the previous months of promotions.

Note 4: I bought some storage items to help re-organize my room.

2 comments:

  1. I notice u had (lottery) in later expenditure post. U can forget about lotteries. Odds are dismay. Is a waste of $.

    My parents have been buying 4D, lotteries for donkey years & still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xianlong,

    Yea, lottery is just for fun and/or charity for me. The odds of a big win is so low -- yea, I was fascinated with the maths of the odds behind the Singapore Lotto top-prize strike that I calculated it personally. It is definitely not something to depend on for financial planning.

    For me, it's just a small budgeted amount to spend on a vice that wouldn't hurt my health. Despite my little bit of 横财运 ["luck of fortuitous wealth"], lottery is a money-losing entertainment overall, as expected.

    ReplyDelete