Friday, January 04, 2013

Recipe: Creamy spaghetti

While I enjoy cooking for my friends (i.e. a group), when it comes to cooking for one, I have a tendency to be lazy. I would probably be eating instant noodles daily if not for the fact that I prevent myself from falling into that dietary rut by avoiding instant noodles on the supermarket shelves. [Note: To be honest, there were periods when I was eating instant noodles on a regular basis during my initial year in Canada.]

So I look into my refrigerator and food stock for quick-and-easy meals, that comes with a touch of finesse. Here's my recipe for quick-and-easy creamy spaghetti.

------------------------------

Creamy spaghetti


Ingredients for a single serving (clockwise from top-left):

100ml white wine. Wine gives a unique twist to many common dishes. It is also good way to use up any leftover from an opened bottle after-the-party.

Pine nuts. Only a handful is needed (not the entire amount shown in the photo above). Note: Use only pine nuts (i.e. do not add walnuts) if you like a subtle flavour.

Spaghetti. I use wholewheat spaghettini because it is healthy, and it takes the less time to cook than regular spaghetti. In the photo above, the spaghettini is already cooked.

75g Spiced cream cheese. I use 1/2 packet of the Boursin "Garlic and Fine Herbs" flavour. My French friends use that brand too, so I guess it's decent cheese.

Walnuts. Use a handful of walnuts if you prefer a richer flavour or more colour. Note: Use only pine nuts (i.e. do not add walnuts) if you like a subtle flavour.

Frozen baby brussels sprouts

Not in photo: A tablespoon of olive oil, pinch of salt (optional) and some ground black pepper (optional).

1. Put water and salt (if using) into the slow-cooker and set it to steam for 8min (or whatever time it takes to cook your chosen spaghetti). Once the slow-cooker starts steaming, add a tablespoon of olive oil and the spaghetti into the pot. Note: You can use the stove for the same purpose. It is just that I am too lazy to watch over the fire. [看火]

2. While the spaghetti is cooking, pour the wine into the microwavable bowl of brussels sprouts. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.

3. When the spaghetti is cooked, scoop into a bowl.

4. Add the cheese into the spaghetti.

5. Filter the wine (but not the brussels sprouts) into the spaghetti.

6. Stir. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

7. Garnish with nuts and brussels sprouts. Serve warm with a dash of ground black pepper.

Quick-and-easy creamy spaghetti

No comments

Post a Comment