Tuesday, February 02, 2010

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

I met my nursing buddy for a short chat after work today.

------------------------------

Some days I feel like the 3 "no evil" monkeys - "see no evil", "hear no evil", and "speak no evil". There are things that happen in the wards and in the hospital that one has to be a monkey to not stick out one's neck to be chopped. E.g. Isolation policies that are "generously" bent, medication administration guidelines that are not followed, etc. Yet, once a decision is made by a higher authority, a monkey like myself can only keep my fingers crossed and hope that no incident crops up. This is because if an incident were to occur, we the new nurses are at the bottom of the "medical professionals' food chain" and may face the blame lecture, losing our license or worse.

That's where having my nursing buddy counts. We could offload the weight of such "corporate secrets" on our shoulders to each other. Things that we cannot tell anyone outside of our hospital. Yet, due to our differing schedule and other commitments, we could only manage a brief meeting once in a few months.

No comments

Post a Comment