Friday, April 20, 2012

GNIE Expenses

I noticed that my top 3 posts are all related to nursing in Canada, i.e. CRNBC IEN SEC and Canadian nursing board posts.

I guess there may be some amongst my readers who are heading for the GNIE program at Kwantlen. If so, here's a heads-up on expected GNIE study-related expenses. All data extracted from the Kwantlen Polytechnic website, up-to-date as of 20-Apr-2012.
https://bweb.kwantlen.ca/pls/prodss/bwyfaapx.p_select_year

Firstly, an overview of the costs for the entire GNIE program. Total of $7,922.46.
[Note: This is not the costs for my cohort but that for the Fall-2011 cohort. I stumbled upon it accidentally and the system did not allow me to chose my cohort.]


Semester 1 cost breakdown is as follow.
Note: "Tuition" expenses are compulsory. "Books" and "Other Expenses" are discretionary. Don't forget to add-on the cost of uniforms which is around $20-$40 + HST per set.


Semester 2 cost breakdown is as follow.


Semester 3 cost breakdown is as follow.


Note: In addition to the above costs, there are some costs related to applying for the GNIE program. I will touch on that in another post in future [click here]. Managing finances to support one's study is a major source of stress for many of my classmates. This is especially true for those who failed to obtain a student loan successfully or the loan quantum is not enough to maintain their current living expenses.

Kwantlen has many awards and bursaries, but the main application deadline is 9th-March, which is already over for 2012. Thus, it is a good idea to plan ahead for the financial aspects of the GNIE program if one is pursuing this option.

Just for your interest, the cost for a 4-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing at Kwantlen is $29,379.35.

2 comments:

  1. Hey wd! How are u? Its gie.. I havent got the result yet.. I have an appointment nxt week with crnbc though.. Anyways, gnie starts every september? Is that correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gie,

      It varies from year to year depending on funding available. Registration for each cohort is some months before the start of the course, it is better that you confirm the registration date with Kwantlen. Sometimes there is only 1 cohort in September, sometimes 2 cohorts (May, September). My cohort in January is a special group thanks to special funding available.

      Good luck on the CRNBC appointment and keep us posted on your results. Best of luck!

      Cheers, WD.

      Delete