Friday, April 06, 2012

Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival Haiku

I went to the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival's Cherry Jam Downtown Concert yesterday with a friend*. I heard about the Haiku Invitational there and was inspired on-the-spot to submit an entry related to immigrants. Here's my haiku below:

Cherry blossoms
Eastern roots western blooms
Immigrants

Here's a Chinese translation of my haiku above (with words added to meet the traditional 5-7-5 haiku form):

樱花满天开
东方根而西方盛
移民希与旨

If you're interested, please click here or the URL below to submit your entries (limited to 2 per person). There are 5 categories of entries: Youth, B.C., Canada, United States, and International.
http://www.vcbf.ca/haiku/haiku-invitational-2012

Click here for photos of the Vancouver downtown celebration from CTV. I am in one of these images, albeit small and blur. Btw, the creator of the popular California maki is the Japanese chef in white uniform with a white cloth band tied around his head.
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/gallery/html/bc_cherryblossom_20120405/photo_0.html

------------------------------

*My friend is a refugee from Middle East. That's what I like about my life in Metro Vancouver. I get to meet and befriend a variety of people from different backgrounds.

No comments

Post a Comment