Monday, December 31, 2012

Recipe: Flavoured rice 有味饭

I like all-in-one cooking because that means I don't have to "watch over several fires" [看火] nor do I have to wash multiple cooking pots. Here is one of my favourite all-in-one dishes. I served it to my French-Chinese exchange group during Mid-Autumn Festival [中秋节] and again to another friend for Christmas dinner.

------------------------------

Flavoured rice 有味饭


Ingredients for 4-6 servings (clockwise from top-left):

6 tablespoons of Teriyaki sauce

2 small Yam. The purple-veined flesh type is preferred for its natural sweetness


1 1/2 cup walnut pieces

1 square of smoked firm-tofu (around 100g)

A quarter of a small cabbage (on chopping board)

2 cups of rice (not in photo)

Note: All measures are approximate, add more/less as per your preference.

1. Peel and dice the yam.

2. Dice mushrooms and tofu.

3. Cut cabbage into thin slices.

4. Rinse the rice and add water to rice in the slow-cooker as per normal.

5. Add all the other ingredients and stir.

6. Turn-on the slow-cooker to "white rice" mode. When cooked, serve warm.

Note #1: No worries if you did not add enough Teriyaki sauce before cooking, you can always stir in more after the rice is cooked.

Note #2: If you eat meat, my mother traditionally uses 腊肠 [Chinese waxed sausage] and minced pork instead of walnut pieces and tofu.

All-in-one flavoured rice. Ta-da!

2 comments:

  1. I do this a lot too, since I live alone and have the same lazy concerns as you, only mine substitutes yam and walnut with carrot and fishcake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and sharing, RealGunners!

      Cheers, WD.

      Delete